Friday, June 10, 2011

Log Cabin Afghan- Part Two

Tonight, I did something I have never done before: I crocheted a test piece to check the gauge of my crocheting. I never bother with that. Sometimes, I end up with wonky finished pieces because I started out tighter/looser than I finished. Usually, though, I’m consistent enough not to worry about it. With this afghan, though, I really want to be sure I get it right. So… I spent time playing around with different needles and tension and even tried out some different stitches.

And speaking of stitches, my hubby (after looking at my test swatch) suggested that I do different stitches in each of the blocks. Great idea, huh? I think so, but I’m not sure how intricate I can be with this bulky yarn. Here’s a sampling of what I’ve tried out so far-



And as far a gauge is concerned, here’s what I’m doing:
Using J-10 (6mm) hook (I tried some larger sizes, but they just felt too big in my hands and thus, uncomfortable)
12 rows or 10 sc= 4 inches

Last thing to figure out is if I am going to change up the stitches. Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment