Saturday, May 28, 2011

Birdie Ornament

Do you keep a folder for inspiration?  I have folders for cooking inspiration, decorating inspiration, crafting inspiration and crocheting inspiration.  There are so many amazing crocheters and crochet ideas that I never knew existed before I started reading blogs. 

Most weekends, I spend a few hours just surfing and looking for ideas.  About a month ago, I saw a little bird and immediately thought it'd make a great Christmas decoration.  I know it's only May, but I'm always thinking ahead.  I shared my inpiration photo a couple days ago, and here's my finished birdie.  I love how it turned out.

Lady Crochet, where I originally saw this birdie, didn't have a pattern that I could find, but that's ok.  I'm not much of a pattern person- I like to simply crochet and see what happens!  :)

Not only did I do that here, but... I wrote everything down.  Here's the pattern!

Birdie Pattern

Ch: chain
Sc: single crochet
Sl st: slip stitch
Hdc: half-double crochet

Body
Round 1 (in green): Magic Ring, sc and ch 1. In ring, crochet 5 more sc. Pull ring tight. Join with sl st to ch 1. You'll have a total of 6 sc.
Round 2 (green): 2 sc in each sc around. Join together. 12 sc. Fasten off.
Round 3 (white): Join white color. 2 sc in each sc around. Join together. 24 sc. Fasten off.
Round 4 (purple): Join purple color. 2 sc in each sc around. Join together. 48 sc.
Round 5 (purple): 1 sc in each sc around. Join together. 48 sc. Fasten off.
Round 6 (white): Join white color. hdc in each sc around. Join together. 48 hdc.
Round 7 (coral/terra-cotta): Join coral color. 1 sc in each sc around. Join together. 48 sc. Do not fasten off.

Iron to block shape. Fold in half so that the place where you have your last coral stitch is at the far end of the bird (the end away from where you'll place the beak).

Wings
Round 1 (in green): Magic Ring, sc and ch 1. In ring, crochet 5 more sc. Pull ring tight. Join with sl st to ch 1. You'll have a total of 6 sc.
Round 2 (green): 2 sc in first two sc. 2 dc in third sc. Ch 1, turn. Sc in each of the stitches you've just made (going back towards the beginning of this round). Fasten off.
Sew wings to the bird's body.

Beak
This could be played with much more.
Row 1: Ch 4, turned and sc in the second ch from hook and each ch across. Ch 1, turn
Row 2: sc in each sc across. Fasten off.
Place bird's beak where you'd like it and sew in.

Finishing
Return to the body and your last coral stitch. With the bird folded in half and the beak and wings sewed on, begin slip stitching only in the inside of the single crochets. This will add another row of color and close up the bird. I prefer the look of the edge with the sl st versus using a sc or whip stitch to join the body.

Attach eyes. I debated using a button or other fastener for eyes. In the end, I liked the look of the googly eye and used a hot glue gun to attach it.  I also made a 20 ch loop for the top.

Here are a few photos with the eyes I tried.  You can also see how I had started slip stitching the body closed at this point.


green fastener eye
green button eye

Happy Inspiration Crocheting!

No comments:

Post a Comment